Angel FundFor startups with a potential to scale and expand internationally
What is the Bolton Trust Angel Fund
The Bolton Trust Angel Fund (BTAF) invests in promising early stage business that have the potential to scale in terms of sales and employment.
BTAF invests in start-ups that meet any of the following criteria:
- Arise out of research and development activity undertaken in the Technological University of Dublin (TUD). (i.e. DIT, ITT and ITB);
- Have participated in entrepreneurship programs or initiatives provided by TUD or The Bolton Trust (e.g. new Frontiers, Springboard etc.)
What do we offer
- Financial Offer The fund can invest up to €25k in the business in return for 5% equity shareholding. The funding may be tranched, in which case each €5k is for 1% equity shareholding.
- Mentoring Bolton Trust will provide mentors with relevant technical and business experience as required by the company.
How to apply
There are two calls per year.
This call is NOW OPEN for applications.
The closing date for applications is Friday 30th November 2018.
Terms and conditions
The applicants must meet the following criteria;
1. Applicants can be individuals or a company. If the application is from an individual, a company must be formed to take in the equity investment within 3 months of approval. Formation of a limited company is necessary for an equity investment.
2. The start-up should arisefrom either:
- research and development undertaken in, or associated with, the TUD or
- entrepreneur development programs of the TUD or the Bolton Trust. (e.g. current or past New Frontiers programs at DIT Hothouse, IT Tallaght, IT Blanchardstown, or current or past Springboard programs undertaken by Bolton Trust)
- The fund is open to early stage business; the business should have not more than €50k revenue (in the current or any previous year) and be not more than 3 years old.
- Evaluation criteria will include – need for money, employment potential, potential for sales, potential for investment return, potential for doing social good.
- All applications will be evaluated by a subgroup of the Board. Short-listed applicants will be invited to pitch. A pitch presentation of not more than 10 minutes followed by Q&A.
- The board’s decision is final.
- The investment terms are fixed and not subject to negotiation.
- Bolton Trust will not take a board position but will exercise an audit function in terms of requiring quarterly report of progress and development expenditure for drawdown of further tranches.
Interested, have some questions?
How we can help you
The fund can invest up to €25,000 in the business in return for 5% equity shareholding. The funding may be tranched, in which case each €5,000 is for 1% equity shareholding.